Click Here to Return to Index
Click Here to Return To Milestones Vol 12 No 1
The Little Beaver Historical Society, Inc. was established and chartered in October 1962. The first president elected, Walter Landgraf, met with seven members in Darlington. By-laws and a constitution created the society set a priority to "maintain, preserve, and restore the historical facts and material of the area: and to seek out historical sites of interest, and mark the same for the public and historical purposes."
After almost twenty-five years in existence, the society now has a membership, Board of Directors and Officers including a Curator, Genealogist and Historian that continually is researching and analyzing the local history of the Little Beaver area.
The most visible treasures of the society, the 184 year old Greersburgh Academy located on Market and Third Street in Darlington and the second academy, now the home of Little Beaver Museum located at Plum and Second Streets, house the artifacts and memorabilia of local interest.
The existence of the society has been accomplished by the active and highly motivated force of volunteerism. So many have donated countless hours to preserving and restoring that to mention one or two would be inexcusable.
Bottles, ceramics, china, furniture, glassware, farm tools and primitives, photographs, books, a grand piano, a grandfather's clock, a barber's chair all have a place in the museum and tell a story.
The society has created numerous publications about area history and events. During 1986 the society has established a photographic slide collection and video cassette collection of historic and significant people, sites, places and events.
In 1987, the society's major goal is the complete restoration of the Greersburgh Academy. Much of the past history and events regarding the building have been uncovered and revealed in the society's research and the Greersburgh Minutebook. (see pg. 2)
The minutebook covers a period from 1806 to 1914, explaining administrative meetings of the president and directors of the academy. A library was established as well as sleeping quarters, an examination room as well as the main room on the first floort o be used for political, social, and religious events as early as 1847.
The society in addition to the noted rooms may create a church room, Greersburgh room, and classroom to recreate what may have been ... In any event the building will continue to be used as a place of learning...
The historical society is a non-profit organization and is continually searching for funds to maintain its two buildings. They welcome new members as well as donations. A memorial book has been established as well as an endowment fund.