Return to Previous Page


The John Shively House

506 Fourth Street

The John Shively House was built about 1836, by John Shively, who owned Beaver's main industry, a hattery, who purchased the property in 1934 from the heirs of the original patentee, Hugh Wilson, for $20.00

This house has no significant historical interest, except for the fact that it is possibly the oldest house on Fourth Street in Beaver, and for its architecture, which, with its chimneys on each side, was more often seen in upper Shenandoah Valley houses.

It is of interest, also, that the original lot, which extended to Wayne Street, then Bank Alley, and ran back to Canal, was sold for $7.50 in 1794, the date of the original patent by Governor Thomas Mifflin.