Click Here to Return to Index
Click Here to Return to Milestones
The Company was organized in 1901 by Henry C. Fry, sons Jesse Howard and Harry C. Fry and other local businessmen, as the Rochester Glass Co., but the name was soon changed to the H.C. Fry Glass Co. This firm, one of the most modern of its day, soon became world-renowned for its outstanding cut glass and in the years that followed (1901-1933) produced glass of all types.
The H.C. Fry Glass Society was formed in 1983 for the purpose of "learning all that we could about the man, the people who worked there, and the products that were produced." Beginning with seven local couples, the study group has expanded over the years and now has members in 20 States. Activities have included many interesting speakers (including a number of former employees), videos and films of the process of glassmaking and Show and Tell time. The Fry Society presented two displays of Fry Glass to familiarize the public with the many different examples of ware produced by this company. The last display was attended by over six hundred people, including guests from a number of other states.
The Fry Society has prepared the "Collector's Encyclopedia of Fry Glass" which contains details of all the glass - Cut, Foval (Art Glass), Etched and colored with hundreds of colored photographs. Included is a history of Mr. Fry, the workers and the area with many original photographs. The book has been published and is being distributed by Collector Books of Paducah, Kentucky and is available at local book stores, book dealers, as well as directly from Collector Books or members of the Society.
The price of the Fry work is $24.95. Additional information may be obtained by writing to -
H.C. FRY GLASS SOCIETY P.O. Box 41, Beaver,