Click Here to Return to Index
Click Here to Return to Milestones
Samuel Clow operated what is sometimes called
the last "station" in Beaver County. The house was built
around 1820 by James Clow, Samuel Clow's father.
Samuel was a prominent abolitionist and brother-in-law of John Brown. John Brown's first wife, Diane Lusk Brown, amd Samuel Clow's first wife, Sophia Lusk were sisters from Hudson Township, Summit County, Ohio. Clow also helped the Union cause during the Civil War by raising 700 horses for the Army. From 1870-1878, the house served as a boarding house for the North Sewickley Academy located across from the Clow house.