Click Here to Return to Index
Click Here to Return to Milestones
Darlington's original name was Greersburg.
The ground on which the town was built was owned by the Martin, Sproat and Greer families, and it could have just as easily been called Martinsville, Sproatstown, or Greersburg.
In order to settle the matter they decided to draw straws. The Greers drew the longest straw and Darlington was known as Greersburg until 1830.