Click Here to Return to Index

Click Here to Return to Booklets Index

This "Short History of Darlington" was compiled by Mr. Chalmers Elder, Darlington:


I. How Greersburg Became Darlington

The history of Darlington goes back for at least one hundred seventy five years. It existed as a village for a few years before it was incorporated as a village. It is located in the valley of Little Beaver creek and Delaware Indians had a trail down the Little Beaver valley which they used going to their lands on the Tuscarawas river in Ohio. We know they had a camping ground at Cannelton, just a few miles to the west.

Greersburg, as the town was at first called, was on the main stage coach road between Pittsburgh and Cleveland, Ohio, or Erie.

The first settler so far as we know was Mr. Robert McMinn; his wife is said to be the first white woman to cross the Ohio river at Beaver, or Beaver town, as it was then called. McMinn settled in 1794 on the farm now owned by Mr. Walter Landgraf. After him came the Martins, Sproats, Imbries, Dilworths, Boyds and many others. "Since most of these people were of Scotch-Irish descent and Presbyterian, as soon as they had built their homes' they started to build churches and schools. The first to be organized was Mt. Pleasant Presbyterian church in 1798, with the Rev. Thomas Hughes, pastor. He with some other men, saw the need of an Academy, and through their efforts the "Old Stone Pile," as it is called, was started in 1802. More about it later.

The town itself, was not laid out until 1804. General Abner Lacock did the surveying on land owned by Thomas Sproat, William Martin, and George Greer. The plan embraced four blocks square, sixteen blocks in all, with eight lots to the block, making 128 lots. The streets were numbered one to five from south to north. From east to west were Plumb St., Market St. and Morris St. Market and Third are 55ft. wide while the others are 50 ft. wide.

The lots are 66 x 40ft. in dimension. The original plot is in the possession of George Greer, a great- great-grandson of George Greer. The question arose as to what to name the town. Since the land on which the town stood was owned by Martin, Sproat and Greer, it could have been called Martinsville, Sproatstown, or Greersburg.

In order to settle the matter they decided to draw straws. Greer drew the longest straw, so the name of Greersburg was adopted. It was / known by that name until 1830. The following letter furnished Mr.' George P. Smith, Philadelphia, will explain the change of name:


Philadelphia, Pa. October 18, 1887 George P. Smith, Esq.

My Dear Sir:_I am aware of your fondness and taste for historical lore. I will relate a trifling incident which occurred between the years 1817 and 1832, when I was a resident of Pittsburgh, Pa.

In or about 1831 I had a customer who bought goods off me regularly and paid promptly, his name being David Gilliland, a merchant of Greersburg, Beaver County, Pa. At the time above, he was as in the city making purchases, and his business called him home before his invoices could be made, or the goods shipped.

The next day I shipped the goods and mailed the invoices to his address in Greersburg, Pa. In a few days I received a letter from him saying the invoices had reached him. I at once sent him a duplicate. In a few days I received a note not very complimentary as to my business standing. I sent a third duplicate and there the matter rested until he came in person.

On his entering the store I saluted him cordially, and asked if his invoices had reached him. "No", he said rather gruffly, I took him to my counting room, opened my letter book and asked him to read. He seemed glad and exonerated me from all neglect of duty.

A suggestion came to my mind which I explained to him. He seemed pleased with the idea. Greersburg and Greensburg are too much alike. I thought the mistake belonged to the Pittsburgh office. I wrote to the postmaster, Mr. Drum, at Greensburg. The next mail brought the missing letters and contents. Mr. Gilliland on seeing these, expressed his delight, because all kindly feeling for myself was restored.

"I told him it would be well to change the name of their town, anti that I knew of no town by the nume of Darlington, and that change might be satisfacu~ry to all interested."

He seemed delighted, remarking, "I will see what can be done on my return home and report to you." Some months afterward, (sometime in 1832), I learned of the change to "Darlington," for Greersburg. Very truly yours,

Samuel P. Darlington

"Among the early business men were David Gilliland, Stewart Boyd, Joseph Quigley as shopkeepers; David Prow was a miller, Jacob Striby, a clockmaker, John McClymonds, a tailor and Steven Todd, a shoemaker and later postmaster.

"The town was not incorporated until 1820. There were four taverns, one of which was owned by George Greer, another by Mattison Hart, a third by Richard N. Heath. The following advertisement by Heath shows how near the frontier Darlington was at that time.

Families emigrating to the new settlements through this place may rely on good accommodations themselves and their horses. Hay by the hundred or quarter. Oats by the bushel at a low rate.

Richard N. Heath

"Another man who owned a store was Dr. Cochran. He was also Justice of the Peace. As near as the writer can find it must have been a sort of trading post. The following facts were found in an old account book of his dated 1816.

Joseph Stinson traded 5.5 lbs. of wool worth $2.20, for a felt hat and 95 cents change. Felt hats were $1.25 each. Fine hats were $4 and wool hats were anywhere from 50 cents to $1.

He must have done a credit business for there are notes against William Huston, dated Dec. 14, 1813, in the amount of $15, at 5 per cent interest, and one by Joe Hammone, May 16, 1821 for $16.50. There is no interest noted on this one.

Beaver County Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

To the Constable of Darlington Township, in the County of Beaver.


George Smith, hath obtained judgment before me, James Cochran, one of the Commonwealth's Justices of the Peace in and for said County, against J. W. and J. D. for the sum of eight dollars and fortyeight cents debt, together wth $1.09 costs.

'These, therefore, command you that you levy and make said debt aud cost of proper goods and chattels of the said James W. and John D. by distress and sale thereof according to law, but for want of such goods and chattels there- on to levy, then to take the body of said James W. and John D. and convey them to the County Jails of said Countty, the jailor thereof is commanded to rreceive them and keep them in safe custody until thc debts and costs aforesaid are paid, or shall be discharged according to law.

And you, the said constable are hereby commanded to return theretof to our said Justice of the Peace within twenty days from the date thereof.

'Wituess the said order this 15th day of August 1834.

"Dr. Cochran is buried in the cemetery in Darlington for which cemetery he donated the land."

Doctors, Preachers, Ministered To Settlers

Another merchant of Darlington was John C. Duff, who operated a store in Darlington as well as one in East Palestine, Ohio, and Beaver Falls.

Another prominent Doctor was Dr. Dustan. The home which he built himself was called 'The Shot 'I'ower' because of its extreme height. It was also called the silk tower, because the doctor was greatly interested in raising silk worms. The manufacture of silk became a craze in western Pennsylvania about that time.

The building was last used by Mr. George Yutes as a wagon factory, and April 28, 1898, it suddenly collapsed into what was described as a pile of dust and rubble. Mr. Yutes had left the building just a few minutes before. It stood a short distance west of where the Civil War Soldiers' Monument now stands.

'I'here are many conflicting stories concerning him. History he was the poor man's friend and he had a large practice. He died . 24, 1824, and was buried by the side of his second wife in the Little Beaver Cemetary.

Dr. Levis was a physician in Darlington from 1834 unti1 when he removed to Bridgewater. He was a very skillful physician and surgeon.

Dr. Vance came to Darlington in 1877 and was there twenty years. It was he who built the fine old house in which Edward Duff still resides.

"Dr. Sawyer Sr. began his practice in Darlington in 1872 and continued active until 1899 when because of an accident he lost his eyesight. He served as a consultant until his death in 1911. He is the grandfather of the Judge John N. Sawyer, Beaver, Pa.

"Dr. William's son, Benjamin, was also a MD who began his practice in 1903 and continued until his death in 1911.

"Dr. R. W. Watterson came to Darlington in 1898 with his family and built up a large practice both in Darlington and the surrounding communities. He continued his practice until his death in 1939. In the 1920's his son Wayne, who was also an MD, joined his father and continued to practice from the same office until his own death. They were highly respected, both as men and physicians.

"Dr. Joseph Frazier came to Darlington in the 1840's and formed a partnership with Dr. Henderson. The writer can find no other mention of Dr. IIenderson, but it is said of Frazier that he taught medicine to more students in western Pennsylvania than any other man.

"Dr. J. M. Davis began his practice in Darlington in the middle nineties, and remained the rest of his life. He also gained a large practice and served as Coroncr of Beaver County for two terms.

A note here concerning General Abner Lacock:

Besides laying out the town of Greersburg, he did much of the surveying around Beavertown, and what later became Beaver Falls. He also served one term in the House of Representatives in Washington, and two in the Senate. This was at the time when General Jackson was president

History records that Jackson had a very quick temper, General Lacock served on a committee which censured Jackson very severely for the way he had conducted the Seminole War. Jackson was furious and threatened physical violence to all member of the committee. A letter from Mr. Lacock is interesting:

"General Jackson is still here, and by times behaves like a mad man. He has sworn most bitterly that he would cut off the ears of every member of the committee who reported against his conduct.

"This bullying is done in public, and yet I have passed lodgings and I still retain my ears; how long I shall be spared from mutilation I know not, but one thing I can promise you, that I will not avoid him a single inch; and as the civil authority here seems to be put down by the military. I shall be ready and will to defend myself and not soft.

"I shall remain here as long as he does and take the consequences.'

They left the Capitol the next day on the same conveyance.


The whole history of western Pennsylvania has been profoundly influenced by the dedicated Christian ministers who early came here. One of them was the Rev. Thomas Hughes.

It was he who soon after his settlement as pastor of the Mt. Pleasant Presbyterian church proposed the founding of the Academy in Greersburg. This was approved by the Ohio Presbytery, and the Rev.

Hughes went as far as Boston trying to raise funds for the building. It was begun in 1802, but was not chartered until 1806. The State Legislature gave $600 toward the cost. This money was to be paid out of the proceeds derived from the sale of in-lots of the reserved land joining Beaver-town.

"The first board of trustees were as follows: the Rev. John McFerron, the Rev. George M. Scott, the Rev. Thomas Hughes, the Rev. William Wick, the Rev. James Satterfield, the Rev. Nicklas Pittenger, Calwel Semple, Alexander Wright, David Potter, Dr. Samuel Adams, John Beer, George Dilworth, William Scott, Joseph Pollock, and Hugh Hagerty.

"The students boarded in the building. At the first meeting of the Trustees, June 2, 1806, the tuition was set at $3 per quarter, and board at 70 cents per week. The menu was as follows: Breakfast shall consist of bread and butter, or meat with coffee. Dinnerr of bread with meat and sauce. Supper of bread and milk.


McGuffey Read At Old Stone Pile


"Several mcn who attained national fame attended school at "Old Stone Pile" and many more who have been outstanding in our own and neighboring counties.

"The one who first comes to mind is 'William Holmes McGuffey who is known for readers and spellers he wrote, John Brown of pre-civil war days fame, Gencral John W. Geary, who later became governor of Pcnnsylvania and Walter Forward who later became the Secretary of the United States. Bcsides these there were many others who held offices of honor and trust, both in the church and in public affairs throughout the northwest part of Beaver County.

"The old register of the years 1816, 1817 and 1818, gives the names of thc following pupils: Robert Dilworth, John Sterrel, Joseph Harper, Abram Bryson, Joscph Reed, Daniel McClain, E. Bleachey, James Foy, John Hunter, Thomas Anderson, Hugh Martin, Robert McKaig, George Calhoon, James Campbell, James Clark, John Cunningham, Thomas Espy, Morgan Fulks, William Harra, Isaac Peppard, Samuel Sproat, Robert Fclson, Enoch Heaton, James Jay, and Charles Murry."

Teachers of thc Greesburg Academy included thc Rev. Thomas F. Hughes, or someone appointed by him from 1799 to 1806, thc year the Academy was chartered: Daniel Hayden the first under the charter of 1806; James Roland 1812; William Reed, 1816; Robert Dilworth, 1819; Samuel Sproat, 1829; the Rev. Georgge Scott, D.D., 1837; James Stewart and William Silliman, 1848; Samuel B. Wilson 1849; the Rev. Scott Samuel Patterson, 1854; Mr. Sellers, 1855; Joseph B. Kiddoo, 1856; Anserson and Recd 1852; J. S. Dice 1871; Mr. Smith, 1872; the Rev. Samuel Alexander, 1875; Mr. Wolfe, 1876 and Rufus Darr, 1877.

"In thc new brick building teachers were: F. N. Notestein, 1884; spring Mr. Atkinson, autumn; J. A. Coolidge, 1885; F. A. Judd, 1886; R. B. A. McBride, 1890; D. A. Green, 1891; C. B. McCarter, 1893, C. A. Simonton, 1894; Mr. Wallace, 1899; J. S. Best, 1900; W. E. Cozens, 1901; John Lyons, 1901-1905; the Rev. Loomis, 1906; Miss Cathrine Flemming, 1907 and Walter Rosenberger, 1908.

"In the summer of 1908, the building was taken over by the Darlington School Board and the top room was used for the high schooland the eighth grade of the school of Darlington. The lower room was used for the fifth, sixth and seventh grades. For several years the high school course was only two years.

"The first graduating class was in 1910 and there were three pupils: Ralph McClain, Fae Eakin, and George Seanor. Later McClain married Miss Eakin and he remarked that he married one third of the class.

"They made up a rhyme concerning the class, 'Three old roosters and one old hen."

"In 1916 the course was changed to three years and in 1921 to four. In 1921 and 1915 there was only one graduate. The school grew until 1957, when because of jointures with surrounding townships, it became known as "Northwestern."

"A fine modern' huilding has been constructed. The old primary school building stood in the vacant lot north of where McCarter's store presently stands.

"We now come to the history of thc post offices of Darlington. The first postoffice was established in 1831. That was the year the name was changed from Greersburg to Darlington. It seems there must have been an office previous to that datc, but I can find no record of it.

"The first postmaster was Steven Todd, beginning his term Fcb. 2, 1831. The others have been Samucl R. Dunlap, Dec. 28, 1831;William Dunlap, Feb. 12, 1837; John' McClymonds, Dec. 15, 1840 Samuel R. Dunlap, June, 1845; John McClymonds, May 5, 1849; John Frazier, July 23, 1861; Alex Crawford, Nov. 4, 1863; Miss Mary McMinn, Dec. 28, 1866; Johnason Marsh, Sept. 27, 1895; Tina Grace McCowan, Sept. 17, 1897; Thomson Warnock; Dec. 10, 1901; Mrs. Thomson Warnock, 1922 (about); Ann Hunt, 1932; John Zopette, 1961.

"Since 1866, the postoffice has been movecl four times. Miss McMinn had it in her own home on the east side of Plumb St., secondhouse from the corner of Second St. It was later moved to the small building on Market St., north of Third Stone House on the East Side, third building from the corner.

"It was then moved to a room in the old Peffer store, and for a short time was located in the old Wallace brick house on Markct St.,left side. This house was torn down and the new office was built on the same ground.

"Rural Free Delivery was begun in 1903 out of Darlington. There were three routes, No. 1 was carried by John Creighton and was about 25 miles long". It lay mostly through the wesern part of South Beaver Township, and did away with the old postoffice in Rowetown. No. 2 was carried by Carl Elder; this route also carried a Star bag for the office tat Rayltown (now known as Blackhawk) and also exchanged mail with the Beaver Falls carrier at Reed's cross-roads. The route was slightly longer than the other.

"When Elder resigned, the route was taken over by John Louthan and carried by him until it was finally cliscontinued, part being ahsorbed by No. 1 route and part by No. 2 from Beaver Falls.

"No. 3 Route lay wholly in Darlington Township. It was at first carried by John Marks. The routes have been changed since the advent of the Automobile, but most of the carriers have served on their particular routes for a good number of years.

"At first when all the roads were dirt, the carriers were hard put to make the whole trip in one day, as the roads would be mud in spring and drifted with snow in winter. There were no snow plows then.

"The rates originally charged for mail were interesting. Previous to 1845 envelopes were not in use, except in a social note conveyed by hand and not by mail, the sheet upon which the message was written being folded so that a space was left for the address, and the fold sealed with wax or a wafer.

"Under postal regulations, prior to the above-mentioned date, postage was charged according to the distance regardless of size and weight) so long as it was under an ounce. If above an ounce, the rate was quadrupled. For each enclosure, no matter how small, the same rate was charged.

"The old single ratss were as follows: For thirty miles or under, 6 1/4 cents; over thirty miles and under eighty miles, 10 cents; over eighty miles andd us~der 150 miles, 12 1/2 cents; over 150 miles and ussder 400 miles, 25 cents. These rates were charged before 1845.

Stamps were introduced in 1847. The amount charged anywhere in the country~ for one ounce was five cents. This was lowered until in 1872 it reached two cents and remainod at that until 1920 when it was raised to three cents and has continued to climb.

"Greersburg (later Darlington), was a flourshing place which did away with the stagecoach lines. The first railroad built in the U. S. was in 1825. At first they were considered a curiosity. Peter Parley, writing 139 years ago, has this to say in his first book of history.

"But the curious thing at Baltimore is the railroad. I must tell you, there is a great trade buy large between Baltimore and the region west of the mountains of Allegheny. The western people buy large quantities of goods at Baltimore and in return send large amounts of produce. There is, therefore, a great deal of traveling back and forth, and hundreds of teams are constantly transporting goods to and from the market.

"Now in order to carry on building husiness, the people are building what is called a railroad. This consists of iron bars laid along the ground and made fast so that carriages with small wheels can run along them with facility. In this way, one horse will be able to draw as much as two horses on a common ground road.

" 'A part of this railroad is already done, and if you choose to ride on it you may do so. You will mount a car something like a stagecoach, and then will be drawn along byt he horses at the rate of twelve miles all hour.' "


Farmers Promised Ride To Chicago On Train

That Only Went To Lisbon


"The Company who built the first railroad through Darlington was formed by a special act of the Legistlature of Pennsylvania, and bears the date of March 3, 1852, to build a railroad for the John Nickerson farm, (who willed his farm to his three slaves, Pompey, Tammer, and Betsy) to a place on the Ohio and Pennsylvania railroad now known as New Galilee, thence by Darlington and the northfork of Little Little Beaver Creek to the Canel mines in Cannelton. The charter allows an extension to the Ohio state line.

"The act of the legislature provides penalties and rules, allows lateral branches, and also dividends twice a year; it prohibits their men, cars or engines to do any work on the Lord's day, and that lands are not to be purchased exceeding $200.00 per acre.

"The first directors were John White, John McCowan, Edwin Morse, Atkinson, Martin, and Mathew Elder. They organized under the name of Thc Darlington Canel Coal Company, with capital stock of $15() to be raised by issue and sale of stock. The capital stock was divided into blocks of six thousancl shares of twenty five dollars each.

"The railroad was completed to the Canel mines in 1855, the track being laid on 6x8 wood stringers in notiched ties, using the iron strap rail, 1x2x3 inches spiked down on top of the wooden stringers. For some years thc gondola cars were hauled from the mines to New Galilee by horses.

"The company then purchased a steam locornotive which was called thc 'economy' which did a good job for several years. The cylinders were set at about a forty-five degree angle and both attached to the wheels in exactly the same way. For that reason, it was possible for tboth to stop on dead center. When this happened, the engineer would have to get a crowbar and pry it off before the engine would start.

"The company got into financial troubles and since their creditors were the "Economite" Society, they had to take over the company under the trustee-ship of Henrice and Lentz. They operated it until 188O, when they found they were losing money, and sokl it to the Pittsburg Lisbon and Western Railroad for forty-thousand dollars. This transaction was a loss of $100,000 to the Society.

"At one time, the railroad was called, 'The Pittsburgh, Marion, and Chicago. They had ambitious ideas and stopped at Lishon, Ohio, The writer of this has heen told by some of thc old timers that the company, as they made the fill and grades west from Cannelton hired farmers, who lived close to the road, to use their horses to pull the scrapers.

"In part pay, when the road was finished to Chicago, they were to have a free round trip ticket. It never got further than Lisbon and what the farmers thought is anybody's guess.

For the next forty years, besides hauling much freight, the Company maintained passenger service. The passenger train made two round trips a day and also hauled express, and mail.

In 1920 the steam train was discontinued and its place was taken by a single car powered by an internal engine. This was discontinued in 1930. Aftcr thc bridge across the Little Beaver Creek between Darlington and New Galilee, (some time in the thirties, the service from Signal to Lisbon was discontinued.

"The terrminus to the road now is Darlington on the east and Youngstown on the northwest. Darlington now has no passenger service of any kind, and traveling for people, who do not have cars, or are unable to drive, is difficult.

"The early settlers of western Pennsylvania were deeply- religious. Many of them came here to escape the religious persecutions which raged in Europe. The ones who came to this region were no exception. Most were either of Scotch-Irish or German decent. Therefore the history of Darlington would not be complete without the history of churches which were formed here and some of the principal men who were prominent in them.

"The first church to be organized in Darlington was the 'Mt Pleasant' church. It was so called because the men who were instrumental in the organizing of it were from a place of that name further to the east in Westmoreland County. At the meeting of the Presbytery of Ohio at Chartiers Church, near Cannonsburg, October 25, 1796, the Rev. John McMillan and Thomas Marquis were appointed to supply the second and third Sabbaths of November, 1796.

The request for these men was no doubt made by a group who wished for a church to be established. However, the first record we find of the church as an organization is dated October 24, 1797. Dr.McMillan and Marquis may have organized this church in 1796. It is first recognized by the same 'Mt. Pleasant' in 1797. The minister appointed to supply the church during 1797 and 1798 were the Rev. McDonald and the Rev. Mr. Patterson.

In the question of where to locate a house of worship, the people were directed by the Presbytery to place it not less than seven, nor more than eight miles from New Salem, and not less than four or more than five miles from Big Beaver.

"The first place selected for the church was on a part of what is now known as 'Wilson's Cemetery.' In a small grove they built a small frame stand, called a tent, which was a pulpit. In front of it and on each side were erected rough sheds under which the congregation assembled. They also put up a 'coarse' log cabin which they occupied in stormy weather.

"Later they moved the tent to the slope of the hill a few rods east of thc pr-esent building and worshipped there for two seasons. But failing to obtain that lot, they finally obtained the piece of ground half mile east of town on what is rnow known as the John McCowan property. John Martin donated four, or five acres to the church. They used this building for a number of years. 'The house which is now occupied by John Swick and his family is built on the same foundation as the old church. Some of the old lumber was also used.

The next move they made was into town, the new building was 50x70 feet. It faced south west and had one door in front and one on either side opening into the cross aisle. The pulpit stood opposite the front door.

'In front of the pulpit was a little platform with a front, upon which the music leaders stood. One would 'raise the tunes,' the other would 'line out two lines at a time,' and the whole congregation would join in the singing. It must be remembered, that at that time many people had not had the opportunity to learn to read.

"This building was remolded in 1842 or 1843. Altogether the edifice was in use at least 50 years. The next building was in 1861 and was in use until 1963 when it was badly damaged by a storm and replaced by the present structure. The church was blessed with several fine pastors. Three who had the longest terms of service were the Rev. Thomas Hughes, the Rev. Henry Potter and the Rev. Robert Henry. The present pastor is the Rev. George VanLeuven.

"Anyone wishing more history of the Mt. P1easant church can find the same in the files on that subject in the Historical Society building at Darlington.

"The second oldest church in Darlington is the present 'Reformed Presbyterian Church." It was originally a split off the Mt. Pleasant church. This happened in 1847. They were known as the 'Free Presbyterians' and were unique in the fact that they did not differ from the mother church on theological questions, but on one practice "slavery". A large group both in the north and south, who belonged to the Presbyterian U. S. A., believed that it was not in the Christian concept to either own slaves, or in any manner engage in the slave trade.


Slavery Split Darlington Presbyterians During 1860s


"Under the leadership of The Rev. John Rankin of Tennessee, who was born in Pennsylvania, and Arthur B. Bradford, who was born in Reading in 1810, the separate denomination of 'Free Presbyterians' was formed. The Rev. Bradford attended the Military Academy at West Point for one year, but changed his course and became a theological student at Princeton Seminary. While there he preached to a group of free negroes.

"He had an uncle, Moses Bradford, who owned a large plantation in Maryland. He spent his vacations there and so had a chance to observe the conditions under which the negro slaves worked and compare them with the free ones to whom he preached in Philadelphia. This confirmed him in his belief that the only remedy for slavery was Emancipation.

"For seven years he was pastor of a church in New Castle. He was then called to Mt. Pleasant church, Darlington, and was pastor there for seventeen years. One of the older members of his congregation once said of him, 'Mr. Bradford is a mighty interesting preacher, but he preaches more politics than he does doctrine.'

"He was an earnest abolitionist and thus could not agree with thc stand of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church, U.S.A., which condonecl slavery and the slave trade.

With about two thirds of the congregation and three of the elders of Mt. Pleasant church, he declined jurisdiction of Beaver Presbytery. June 26, 1847, formed the 'Free Presbyterian Congregation of Darlington. His parish embraced families within a radius of twelve miles. The records show 250 members October 1, 1860, and 274 in 1876. The Rev. Bradford was succeeded at Darlington October 1, 1860 when he was appointed ambassador to Amoy, China by President Lincoln.

"In 1866, Free Presbyterians decided since the question of slavery had been settled by the Civil war, there was not further reason for their separate existence, so in February 1867 they formally joined the Darlington Congregation of Reformed Presbyterian church and are still known by that name.

"The other outstanding pastor was the Rev. Alexander Savage, who came in 1877 and remained until his death in 1931. The congregation has had five pastors since then, the Reverend William Brooks being the last.

"The third Church which serves the Darlington area is United Presbyterian church. The church building is not within borough limits but much of the congregation come from it.

"The original congregation was known as 'Associate Presbyterian Congregation of Brush Run,' and it worshipped in the old church building, Ohio Township. On 1811 it bought 11 acros, and allowances of land from Thomas McCoy and his wife, Susannah, and John Johnson, Thomas Canaday, and Hugh Marshall, trustees of Associate Congregation of Little Beaver for $12.

"'I'he cemetary is there and still is the burial place of many- of the older families of the community. The first church huilding was built there. Like many others of the time it was a log building of small dimensions and an overshot called a 'tent.' There was no means of heating it. In 1819, it was called the Greesburg Congregation and in 1839 Darlington Congregation.

"In 1848 11 acres of land were purchased for $400 and a larger building was erected that year. This building stood until September 6, 1917 when it was struck by lightning and entirely destroyed. The present building then was built.

"In 1858, the Associate Presbyterian Synod and the Ascociate Reformed Presbyterian Synod united to form what became known as United Presbyterian Church. At that time, the Rev. B .C. Sawyer, great grandfather of Judge John N. Sawyer, was pastor.

"Since that time, the pulpit has been filled by twelve different pastors, the Rev. George VanLeuven being the most recent.


A Walking Tour Through Historical Darlington


This is Darlington as of about March 20, 1903 and we are approaching the town from the Southwest on what is now route 168 beginning at the top of the hill where Dutch Blum has his truck station now.. On our left is a hedge of black thorn bushes behind which run a well trodden foot path.

Many people then walked to town from their homes and such paths were common. The house on the left is occupied by Herman Hites, his wife Emma, their sons, Chester, Frank and Elmer. Just below the house was a small barn.

We then would find ourselves with a rail fence on our left, which was on the side of Balie. In summer, you would not have to be told you were near Craft's hog pen, a blind man would know. On the left began the board fence which continued to where the road turned left toward Darlington and along that road until it ended just above the old covered bridge.

"This enclosed the old Associate Presbyterian church building and a grove of beautiful maple trees. Behind the church, was a long horse shed, and betwee it arid the creek was the parsonage, occupied at that time by the Rev. Kingon arid his family. This church building was taken over by the U. P. Presbyterian in 1858.

"There was only one house between the turn of the road and the bridge. It was owned by a Mr. Laurie. The bridge was covered and was a very convenient place to shelter from a sudden storm, arid was a place that some timid people were afraid after dusk. The writer never knew of anyone to be molested or harmed in any way while passing through it.

"There was a steep drop of about twelve feet at the north end of the bridge down onto the valley floor. When the creek was high and and overflowing its banks, this part of the road became impassable. Just where the 'Bonanza' now stands stood the Darlington Creamery Co. A mutual company, formed by a number of farmers of surrounding community, it sold cream. Butter was manufactured and sold to places as far away as Cleveland arid Pittsburgh.

"The Company was formally organized at a meeting in McCowan's Hall Dec. 19, 1893. The Rev. Patterson was chairman, and John M. McClain, secretary. The total capital stock was to be limited to $4500 and no stockholder could vote on or draw dividends on more than two hundred dollars worth of stock. Many names of the old families of the surrounding townships appear in the old records.

An interesting note is contained in minutes recorded March 22, 1894. Hugh Ferguson and John D. Nicely were employed to run the creamery for $50 a month and perform all tile work themselves as long as they give satisfaction, until the volume of milk exceeds 5000 lbs. The company was disbanded in 1901 arid the building sold to L. J. Nicely. It is still standing behind McCarter's store.

"Just past the creamery building on the same side was an old two story house in which no one seemed to stay very long. Beside it was the feed mill owned arid operated by William T. Davis. Davis never looked natural without a half-smoked stogie in his mouth. Across the road on the right, well back in the middle of the field, stood the old house where WiIliam Craft lived.

"We now come to the house of Mr. and Mrs. Hughie Wilson. Mrs. Wilson always had beautiful flowers. They both lived to a good old age. Next was the home of Dr. John M. Davis. He was the only a doctor, but took a lively interest in the affairs of the town. He owned the light plant which supplied all the electricity for the town until 1918 when Harmony' Electric Company brought the line in.

"The plant was located between the main track of the PL & W Railroad and the switch track just west of the old Academy. The generator was powered by a big steam engine. His engineer was Robert Brown,, arid he lived in a room just back of the doctor's house. Lights hung from high poles at each street corner, and were turned off at 11 p.m. Each house paid 50 cents a month for electricity. The doctor also boarded his employe.

"Dr. Davis was a very kind man and if called, would go miles into the country to care for a sick person at any time, over any kind of roads for a very small fee. Across road from his home was a small building which was used for many years as the voting place for the citizens of Darlington township. Only the men voted then.


Hitching Posts Lined Streets Of Downtown Darlington


We now cross First Street and are in the limits of Darlington proper. Continuing north on Market Street, on our left is the home of Miss Caroline Pierce. (She was called "Aunt Cal" by everyone, since she raised two nieces and was good to everyone else.)

"Market Street was covered with ashes secured from the railroad roundhouse. On our right is the 'Duff' building which is three stories high and approximately 50 x 100 feet in dimension.. At that time, the third floor was not in use, but the second floor was used for a meeting place for the Odd Fellows Lodge, and also the Jr. Order of American Mechanics."

Mr. Thorman operated a meat market in one, of the store rooms of the lower story, the other was vacant. On the corner of First and Market Street was a residential apartment. In 1920, Charles Gall bought the building and removed the top story, and later the entire building was razed.

"Next to Miss Pierec's home was the brick building of John Marks. He had a general store on the ground floor and his home on the second. He sold it to C. W. Peffer about 1905. His was a general store.

"The central heating of such stores was a pot-bellied stove usually placed somewhere in the back of the roorn. Saturday nights when the store stayed open until near midnight, was a place where men gathered and it took the place of a community newspaper. To sit and listen to all the wisdom which went to waste was a college education itself.

"The store handled almost anything that was used either on the farm or house. There were boots, shoes and overshoes for the whole family, as well as pins, hairpins and safety pins, sleds skates, gloves, both work and fine, tools, such as axes, hammers, forks and separate handles, for them.

There were chisels, saws, carbide for use in miners' lamps, the lamps themselves, kerosene, engine oil, axle grease for buggies and wagons, buggy whips, and many other tools.

0f course, there were apples, potatoes, oranges, beans arid many other fruits arid vegetables displayed openly in baskets. Candy, several kinds of tobacco and cigars were in the showcases. Customers were served by clerks. The cash register was a drawer under the counter. It had different places in it for the different coins and bills."

"Almost across from Peffer's was the Blacksmith shop of John Davis who owned arid operated it. Any boy who ever had the privilege of taking a team of horses there to be shod will never forget the place. On a wet day in summer, or almost any day during the winter, there would be several men gathered around the big pot-bellied stove in the back right corner of the shop waiting their turn to have their horses shod.

"The wisdom which went to waste there was sinful. Political questions, local national and international were settled, or at least discussed. Some of the largest crops were grown, largest fish were caught, most game was killed, and the roads and weather were discussed. Besides, a great amount of tobacco juice was discharged into the old stove.

"In summer, some boy could have a job keeping the flies off horses using a deceased horse's tail fastened to a handle, also keeping the floor of the shop clean. Never to be foregotten was the smell of the sweaty horses, and that of the smoke of burnt hoofs when the hot shoes were tried on the horses' hoofs to be sure they were level.

"Davis was also a wheel-wright, and this also was an interesting operation. "Next to the blacksmith shop was the restaurant of John McConnaughey. In his place a good sandwich was a nickle. All you wanted to eat was twenty-five certs, and a gallon of oysters was one dollar.

"Next to the restaurant was the home and office of Dr. William Sawyer, who came to the town in 1872. At the time of this writing he was the oldest doctor in Darlington and was blind. He was the grandfather of John N. Sawyer, present County Judge. What was said of Dr. Davis could also be said of Dr. Sawyer.

"Across Market, Street from the last named places Was theDarlington Hotel,' and its livery barn. It was a beautiful, building, three stories high and extended own Second Street to the first alley. The proprietor was Edward Cole. It was widely known for its fine food and the genial hospitality. There were few automobiles, but people drove horses for quite long distances to eat and lodge there. The building was destroyed by fire in 1924. It was also known as the "Cole House"

"We now move across Second Street and the brick building on our left houses the General Store of Martin Davis. It was very much like the one described above with the exception that Davis's store was the older.

"Facing the Davis store across Market Street was the store owned by R. J. Cook. It was the oldest store of the four and must have been founded about the time or shortly after the Civil War. When it was closed in 1916, there were articles of clothing sold that had not been used since that period.

"In front of Cook's store there was a stone about 1 1/2x2ft. square and 3 ft. high. It was called an 'upping block.' It had three Steps on the front side. A person, wanting to get on a horse with out a Saddle could ride to one side of the stone and mount the horse easily. In front of each store was a hitching rail at least thirty feet long where custorners could tie their horses while they were in the stores. These were maintained by the store-owners.

"North of the Cook store was a vacant lot and next to it stood the store of W. L. Bebout who kept a drug store. It was quite different from any drug store we have now, since he sold nothing but drugs and an assortment of patent medicines. To read the labels on the patent medicines there should have been no sickness in those days at all, for some of them would cure anything.

"'Bear Oil' was a sure cure of rheumastism and then there was Mrs. Pimkin's 'pills' and 'Doans' Pills.' For horses, there was 'Sloan's Liniment.' and 'Caustic Balsam.' There were many others too numerous to mention. Bebout was a tall slim man with a little moustache and a weak voice. Many times when he was asked for some article, he would answer. 'Just out, maybe it is at the railroad station now.'


A 'Postman' Walks Through Residential Darlington At Turn Of Century


"Directly across from Bebout's was the home of Frank Miller and beside it was his meat shop. Miller had the first electric cooler in Darlington. He previously used ice which was harvested off the Little Beaver Creek and stored in icehouses.. The ice was packed in sawdust and would keek all summer.

"Miller's was the only place in Darlington meat could be bought. In 1903, three lbs. of roast cost 25c and if one bought a large piece of meat, he would throw in a large soup-bone free.

"Between the meat-shop and the railroad was the Wallace house., occupied at that time by William Luke and family. Then somewhat to the west mid nearer to the railroad was tile 'Old Greersburg Academy nowbeing used as a station.

"When the trains came in, east bound at 8:20 a.m. and 4:20 p.m., and west bound at 10:20 a.m. and 6:20 p.m., the station was a busy place. The mail in those days was hauled on the train and anyone wanting to go any distance had to use the train so the cars were usually comfortably full and sometimes more so.

"North of Bebout's store was the home of Dr. Robert Watterson. He was the other of the old doctors who was ever willing to go any distance to help people who were sick.

"Between the Watterson home and the railroad was the Barber shop and poolroom owned and operated by James Gaunt. Shaves were 15 cents and hair cuts 25c. Along the wall, in front of the barber chair, was an open cupboard where a shaving mug was kept for each prominent man of Darlington and a few near by farmers.

Going north across Third Street, we come to the home of Bert(William) Davis and across the street is the store of L. J. Nicely. This is a large building and his home was on the second story. The Nicelys had two daughters Iva and File. Iva and her husband, Mr. Holtzman, both died on the same day during the flu epidemic of 1918; the store was very similar to the other general store in town.

"North of Nicely's store was the frame schoolhouse where the children of the town went to school to the fourth grade. The teacher at that time was Miss Lena Crawford. Across the street was the postoffice, with Thompson Warnock as postmaster. It was not a very large building, but when the mail was delivered from the train at 10:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m., it was a busy place. Local news was not confined to the newspapers. Rural delivery was not started until, 1903, when three routes were started out of Darlington. The postmaster lived in the house next door."

"Across Fourth Street from the postmaster's home was the home of Dr. B. C. Sawyer. He was the son of Dr. William Sawyer mentioned earlier, and followed in the footsteps of his father. He began to practice medicine in 1902 after his father retired.

"Beyond the next alley was the McClymonds' home. Across Market Street, was a house owned by Andrew Hartford. He was the father of Thomas Hartford, who is an optician in Beaver Falls. Because he did not live in the house, it was occupied by different families. At present, it is occupied by the pastor of the Presbyterian church.

"There were two more houses on the side of the street, the first of which was a tavern in the days of the stage coaches. The next building was the Presbyterian church, erected in 1862. Its history is given in another article.

"Across the street in front of the church is the home of John Bradshaw. He was a teamster. Fifth Street then as now was the northern limits of the Borough of Darlington, so let us turn right on Fifth Street and just back of, and about fifty feet to the right, are the horse sheds of the Presbyterian Church. They extend down the alley and hold more than a dozen rigs.

"We now turn south on Plumb Street and on our left is the house of Mart Eakins and family. The next house had been a tavern, which was known as "Cook's Tavern". It was owned by the great Grandfather of Lenord Cook. He also donated the land where the old Methodist church now stands. It was later torn down. Obliquely across the corner was the home of Miss Alma Young arid her two bachelor brothers, John and William. She made her living as a dress-maker.To the right on Fourth Street was the home of Hart Anderson and his wife. He was a soldier in the Civil War. Across Fourth Street from the Anderson house was the home of the McCutchsons.

"Proceeding down. Plumb Street, on our right is the home of Oran Dilly, and on the left that of James Guant and family. Crossing the railroad and turning left toward New Galilee, is the home of Charles Wallace. This is the limit of the town, so we must turn and go back. On our immediate left will be a pasture field of James O'Neal, then the home of Dr. Fred Crawford and his two sisters, Nellie and Lena.

On the corner will be the Methodist Church, whose pastor is the Rev. Wick. Looking west on Third Street, on the left, will be the home of Stewart Boyd, who was another soldier of the Civil War. Directly across the railroad from him was the home of Mr. Milton McCarter, his two daughters and three sons.

"We may turn left on Plumb Street and the next house on the left will be Miss McMinn's who was pos tmistress in the 1890's. The post office was a part of her house. Across the street from her was Mr. and Mrs. Edsom Graham's home and Miss Matilda Wallace lived south of them. East and across Plumb Street was the home of Mr. and Mrs.Robert Potter, the long time pastor of the Pleasant Presbyterian Church, and to the east the home of Mr. and Mrs. William Lightfoot.

"On the opposite corner, the same side as the Potter's was the second 'Greersburg Academy,' built in 1883. Lyons was the teacher. Across from the Academy was the old wagon shop of Samuel Elder, who also was a soldier of the Civil War.

"This building was very old and was then used for a dwelling house. Next to this, on the same side of the street, was the home of Mr. and Mrs. Tom Kinny and family, and across from them that of Mr. and Mrs. Kemp, next to Kemp's was a small house where Milton McCarter lived by himself.

"Turning right on First Street, on the right, was an old house which was destroyed by fire in 1916. The writer does not remember just who lived in it in 1903, but at the time it was burnt, it was the home of the Hull family.

"Let us now go west on First Street to the corner of Morris Street and we find the home of Mr. arid Mrs. Douthitt. There were no houses on the right. On the other corner of Morris Street was a small house and sonic distance further down was the town jail. It was one-roorn frame building with very slight accommodations.


Darlington Heritage Includes Factories, Railroad Trestles And Civil War Artifacts


"Turning north on Morris Street, there were no houses until Harvey's, north of Second Street. He had bought it from Dr. Nevin and it was one of the oldest houses in Darlington.

"Ori the opposite corner was the home of Mr. and Mrs. Luther McCowan and family. He was a very skilled carpenter and cabinet maker, arid he made many of the tools in his shop. He made a desk which contained sixty-three hundred pieces of wood. There was much inlaid work in it. His shop was just back of the house facing the street.

"Next to it was the home of his son, Roy McCowan, and his family. On the other side of the street, close to the railroad, was the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Nicely.

"We then cross the railroad, and after crossing Third Street, the 'Civil War' Memorial monument was on the left, and on the left would be just about the place where the 'Old Shot Tower' had stood. It has a history of its own. The writer has little recollection of the northwest section of Darlington, since he was in that section very little.

"Let us now go up to Fourth Street, turn left to Market arid turn right to Second Street, turn right arid the first house on our right will be the home of Mr. and Mrs. Davis, the owners of the store on the corner. Next to them, across the alley, is the home of Mr. arid Mrs. William McCarter.

"Going west across Morris, the second house on the right is the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Davis. Davis owned the Blacksmith shop. Next to him was Mr. and Mrs. John Brown Eakins. There was one more house next to that, but the writer does not remember who occupied it. At that time Darlington ended there.

"This is a description of Darlington as it was between the dates of 1903 until about 1910. It is not taken from any history, lust as the writer remembers it, and he assumes responsibility for any errors.

"Starting west from Darlington in 1905, we would be on what was then called the Palestine road, later to become Route 51. It would be an earth road and one who has never traveled such a road, cannot appreciate how dusty it could become in dry weather, or how deep the mud could get, especial' in springtime.

"The last house in Darlington would be the one now occupied by Lester Gottherdt.. Just west of that and across the railroad would be the Darlington Furnace and Foundry Company Plant. It was a large brick building and manufactured home furnaces, and castings for other companies.

"The manager was Oliver H. Bager, who interested many of the local business men and leading farmers in subscribing to stock to start the company, the idea being that it would restore Darlington to some of its former importance, and burnish employment to many of the local residents.

"The directors were local farmers and business men, and were directly responsible for the debts that the company might incur. Through mismanagement, or otherwise the company did get into debt and had to be liquidated, causing very heavy loss to the directors and stockholders. This was in 1908.

"Two other concerns tried to make the plant a success by manufacturing many different products, but none succeeded and the fine buildings were allowed to deteriorate and, finally, they were demolished. That is one of the unpleasant memories of the period.

"There were no more houses on that road until just before it crosses the railroad, and there stood the home of Mr. and Mrs. W. S. Nicely and their two boys.

"Here let us leave the main road and cross the Little Beaver creek to the plant of the Darlington Brick and Mining Company. This is the largest plant near Darlington. It employs many men from both South Beaver and Darlington Townships. The clay used for making the bricks is all mined from under the hill to the south of the plant. Open air mining had not then come into use. Brick sold then for anywhere between ten and twenty dollars per M.

"The factory was served by a swith of the PL & W Railroad which crossed the Creek on a wooden trestle. Ont he evening of March 18, 1911, the locomotive pulled onto the trestle, it gave way on one side and threw the engine on its side into the creek. Mr. George Harny, the fireman, was caught under the engine. It was two days before they could get the body removed since the company did not have a crane large enough to lift the engine. One had to be obtained from the Pennsylvania Railroad.

"This was the day after the "high point" of the big flood of 1913, and it was thought that the high water, which lasted for more than two days, had weakened the underpinnings of the trestle.

"About one-half mile west was the old foot bridge across the Little Beaver Creek. It was a real experience to go across it, especially if the creek was high. The writer remembers only one person who fell off it and was drowned. It was reported that he had a bottle in his pocket, and that all the contents of the bottle were not IN the bottle.

"Just a short distance further down the creek was the old 'Cox Triphammer Mill.' It was along the creek south of the Fergus Johnson homestead, and although we are not sure of the exact time of its being built, it must have been near 1808.

"They made bayonets and swords for the war of 1812 and also for the Civil War. It was also a source of supply for the farmers of the district, for forks, shovels, maddocks, and other farm implements and tools. There is now no trace of its location.

"Across the Cannelton road is the remains of the powderhouse and gob piles of the claymine owned and operated by Mr. J. B. White. Some sixty years ago many car loads of clay were shipped from there.

"Let us turn back and go north east to the end of Second Street of Darlington. On our way, we will pass on our right the old brick home of the Martin family. This was the home of Rankin Martin, who later became one of the most prominent lawyers of Beaver County, and who owned part of the ground on which the town of Greersburg was built. He ran for County Judge in 1905 against Richard Holt and was defeated. The burning issue then was prohibition.

"Just before we would get to Darlington on the left, over near the hill, was the brick works of Steffler and Brown. It was not as large a factory as the Darlington Brick and Mining Company. Mr. Brown later built the house where Mr. and Mrs. Delos Duff now live. He was also later elected a County Commissioner. Compared to now, the plant was very small indeed.

"On the hillside, above the brick plant, was one of the very old houses of Darlington. It was built by John S. Scroggs about 1808. We do not have the exact date. It was sold to David Gilliland and he sold it to Hugh Martin in 1884. It has been in possession of some of the descendants of the Martin family ever since. Martin operated a cider press as long as he lived."


Bring Your Barrel For Cider In Darlington


"There was another brick home further east on the hill north of the Presbyterian church, also owned by a Martin. This was on the old Stagecoach road. Martin also owned a ciderpress.

"In the early years of this century a cider mill was a vcry busy place during the last half of September, and most of November. Usually on good days by 10 a.m. there Would be a long line of wagons loaded with apples waiting to have their apples pressed into cider. Usually each man had a wooden barrel, or if he didn't they were on sale for $1.00. Each person had to wait his turn.

It so happened that one day a couple of men who were from outside of the community came late to have their cider made. They informed Martin that he must take them ahead of the people who were there first. He informed them that they would wait their turn as all ,would be treated alike. They were very angry and threatened to return and burn his press.

"Shortly after that, he had to go to Pittsburgh and while he was gone, the cider house did catch fire. Mrs. Martin was at home, but before she was aware, the fire had spread to the house. The people saw what had happened, and the Fire Department of Darlington went to the scene. The only way to get water was a bucket brigade, with a man at a hand pump to fill the buckets.

"They managed to get the fire well under control, when a sudden puff of wind fanned it again and the well had given out. Mrs. Martin had several vessels of buttermilk in the cooling room, and told them to use that; they did but the supply of it also ran out too soon, so they resorted to a couple barrels of vinegar and so managed to extinguish the flames completely.

"Sometimes when stagecoaches were stranded, the house was used as a stopover. There was a watering trough at the bottom of the hill below the house for public use. Just at the top of the hill beyond the Martin House was the farm of the Patterson Brothers. Sam and Bob, as they were affectionately known. It was they who furnished milk to most of the people of Darlington. Milk sold at five cents a quart.

"The other farmers whose name should be mentioned near Darlington is James O'Neal. He was a breeder of horses and a good farmer. One interesting thing about his farm was a stone watering trough. It was about eight feet long, three feet high, and four feet wide, outside measure. It was on stone. Mr. O'Neal has several hedge fences and they were always well trimmed.

"There was a covered bridge across the Little Beaver Creek on the road to Beaver Falls, past the old Caughey feed mill. It was torn down in 1906 and replaced by an iron bridge made by the Penn Bridge Company, some of whose buildings are still being used by Babcock & Wilcox Co., Tubular Products Division.

"There is much more interesting history to be written of the individual families and farms in the township of Darlington, South Beaver, and Chippewa, but they must be told later.

"This is mostly written from memory of the writer, but he wishes to acknowledge help from Miss Martha Anderson, Mrs. Velma Wallace, and any others who have given hints when memory may have been in error."