Click Here to Return to Index
Click Here to Return to Milestones
The Phoenix Glass works, located in Monaca, have a world-wide reputation for producing fine wares.
The company was organized August 8, 1880, and the first factory was erected immediately thereafter. It was first a co-operative concern, but some two years later the system was changed, and a new company organized.
The Phoenix company absorbed the Edward Dithridge works of Pittsburg, and later purchased the Doyle factory, of Monaca, now known as the "Upper Works."
The purchase of the Doyle factory was made by Edward Kaye, the present manager of the Phoenix.
Twice has the Phoenix factory been burned down, but true to its name, out of its ashes, as often arose new buildings, grander and better than the old.
The factories are now both practically fire proof and it is hoped that they will not suffer the fate of the former buildings on the same site.
The last fire occurred in February, '95, at which time the main factory was burned to the ground. The company at once leased the Dithridge factory in New Brighton, where a full force of hands were operated until the new factory was built.
The upper factory was burned in 1893, and was replaced with an iron structure a few months later.
Fine tableware was manufactured in large quantities and cut glass was a specialty. Later, gas and electric appliances were made, this industry still being carried on to a large extent. The most beautiful lamps to be found anywhere in the world are manufactured at the Phoenix. Some of these are worth as much as $500 and $1,000.
The decorations on the better grade of lamps are hand work and are "Colonial Underglaze," "Oriental," etc., the very finest artists in the country being employed.
The lamp department is under direction of Mr. F. J. Duffner of Pittsburg, who has been with the company for six years.
Andrew Howard is president of the Phoenix company Patterson, secretary.
Monaca is ahead of her sister towns in having a beautiful city building, which is about completed at a cost of some $4,000. It is located on Pennsylvania Avenue, and is built of brick and stone. It is two stories high and is 32x52 feet in size.
On the first floor will be a lockup, polling place and hose and cart room. The second floor will be occupied as a council chamber and is the full size building. A tower 50 feet in height, a depository for the hose, ornaments the top of the building. A tablet of Italian marble ornaments the council chamber and is engraved as follows: